- It’s Not Information Overload. It’s Filter Failure.
"So what we're dealing with now isn't information overload, because we're always dealing with information overload ... thinking about information overload isn't actually describing the problem and thinking about filter failure is." Brilliant
- NY Times: The Trouble with Curation
RE: Pinterest, Tumblr, etc. : "Web sites like these to escape, destress, perk up, calm down, feel something, not feel something, distract themselves and ... modulate pleasure and arousal." Well-written and spot-on in my experience. Also: "... collecting online is a form of self-expression for people who don’t create." Not everyone who curates can't create but it can be a substitute.
- The age of curation | Vivi’s startup blog
"I feel that nowadays we are in the age of curation, where more and more users are participating into this giant experiment, like never before, discovering that they can express themselves and whom their are through curating the internet for others."
- The Content Curator’s Toolbox
- A VC on Curation
Fred Wilson: "I'm a big fan of curation in these services. Twitter has lists. Etsy has favorites. Tumblr has tag pages. These are all variations of curation in services that have a lot of noise in them." Great comment: "Art stored randomly in a room is a warehouse. That same art curated and distilled becomes a gallery."
- The Difference Between Content Curation and Link Spraying | Social Media Today
Content curation is not just sharing links. As such, Twitter isn't curation. Erica explains the difference between just distributing links and thoughtful curation.
- Why Curate? Why Create? Why Do Anything?
First 2 paragraphs are garbage but I liked the comparison of creation and curation.
- Creating vs. Curating Social Media Content For Your Business | Social Media Today
Creating unique social media content for your business, and curating relevant content for your audience, are both valid approaches to filling your content pipeline. This said, there is no single approach that will yield the best results.
- Magnify is a video curation platform that raised $1M on it’s way to $7M
Magnify calls themselves "The Video Curation, Publishing, & Monetization Platform." Another layer of monetization on top of YouTube?
- SEO for Curators
From yours truly, 5 steps to getting your curation site in great SEO shape.
- Three Reasons Content Curation is Overrated in B2B Marketing — B2B Digital Marketing
An important article, in my humble opinion... Eric addresses thought leadership, taking shortcuts, and differentiation. I agree that curation does not a thought leader make. I also think, though, that there is more value to be had than just "leading the conversation."
- Bundlr repositions towards curated media
Another day, another curation-based social network. In this case it's extra meta, a site that curates curated media. Very clean site, though, worth at least a look.
- 17 ways to become a better curator
An "all killer and no filler" post on how to do what you're doing better. I see posts like this all the time but this one had some great content. I'm a big fan of alerts and RSS, I love Buffer, and I try very hard to avoid the obvious.
- Content curation: usually a bad idea?
I liked Frank's honesty on here. Content curation is such a buzzword these days, it's getting used to mean "anytime you use someone else's content." Some great points on how to do it right.
- Soon: Flipboard for Android
The popular curated news app, Flipboard, is going to become available on Android. I'm an, iOS user but I definitely prefer that apps are available cross-platform because it (a) makes the apps better for everyone and (b) makes sure certain companies don't sit on their laurels!
- Mashable: Tips for Content Curation
Mashable says: "Be Part of the Content Ecosystem; Follow a Schedule; Embrace Multiple Platforms; Engage and Participate; Share. Don’t Steal."
- The Curators Code
A important movement of folks looking to standardize attribution and connect the web in a more semantic and human way. Also one of the best-looking sites I've seen in a while!
- Content curators as superheros?
Stand tall, curators! This is a familiar statement - there's too much information so we need humans to filter - but Fast Company provides some great numbers on how big the data deluge really is. "The web needs you."
- 4 tips for great curation “from” the master, Ken Burns
Storyboard First, Filter Intelligently, Don’t Become Part of the Problem, Know When to Create and When to Curate ... good stuff! Long article but worth it.
- 4 Steps to Take to Go Forth and Curate
4 good tips for content curators just getting started
- Chute Photo Aggregation Tools In Real-World Locations
- Did Google kill RSS?
The loss of Google Reader is unfortunate. For new junkies, this was a priceless tool that made consumption of a large amount of information much easier. Even Mike says: "I was using Google Reader when I found out Google Reader was going to be shut down."
- New news aggregation service by Amazon vets
They’ve created an easy-to-use automated news recommendation service called Goldfinch that picks up the best stories, videos and photos rapidly moving through your personal social networks.
- Can LinkedIn Today Be a Real Player in the Social Aggregation Space? | Search Engine Journal
A quick one about LinkedIn's "Today" section and the role it plays in content aggregation.
- The Future of News (hint: it belongs to the smart curators)
Great Forbes piece on where news is going, specifically surrounding personalization and smart aggregation. Smart filters! It's certainly been said before...
- [Video] Doing it wrong in news aggregation
A short video on Elizabeth Flock and the Washington Post. Great professional piece on what happens when you're just chasing page views. For the record, this is an organizational problem, not just a rogue blogger.
- Wavii is like a Facebook timeline of news
Looks interesting so I signed up. Interface is great but "Justin Bieber was asked to prom by a high school sophomore on YouTube" is not related to news about Google, IMHO.
- Huge Content Curation Guide from SEOMoz
I'm a big fan of everything that SEOMoz puts out and this one promises to be incredibly useful for the curation fanatics out there!
- Aggregate and get sued
The Associate Press is suing Meltwater News for charging customers to aggregate and provide content. As much as I'm all for re-use, I have to side with the AP a bit on this one, though it sounds like the lawsuit was a bit premature.
- The Guardian’s N0tice could be a great replacement for local newspapers
"N0tice is essentially an online community noticeboard, upon which news, details of events, and local special offers can be posted for other users." It's a local news aggregation service, essential, powered by users. Big potential.
- Welcome to the Huffington Post era
Riding the line between aggregation and curation, how is The Huffington Post helping or hurting the news business?
- TrapIt – a personal news aggregator
Comes from the same folks that put together Siri. Here's a nice review.
- The Early Edition 2 iPad news aggregation app
Sold as an "iPad newspaper," looks like a fancy RSS reader
- The 5 Best News Aggregators (LifeHacker)
Just to ruin it... Feedly, Google News, Fark, Pulse, and News 360
- How to aggregate news like a pro
What to know before you get started in news aggregation
- Penguin 2.0 rolled out today
"About 2.3% of English-US queries are affected to the degree that a regular user might notice."
- Are we just a “curated self” online?
An interesting piece on our virtual selves and how they are managed and displayed.
- How healthy is your news diet?
Sums it right up: "The ability to personalize our news diets has given rise to fears that we'll end up inside echo chambers of the like-minded, gorging on brownies and ignoring the broccoli we need to function as informed citizens."
- Little Printer is a content curator?
I saw this device under the headline "waste paper and create clutter" which colored my first impression. Then, I took a closer look and it seems like a pun little gadget. It never occurred to me that this thing is doing personalized content curation.
- The future of online advertising
Felix Salmon says that the future of online advertising is, basically, content curation. Brands can act as a "pointer" towards content that supports their message.
- Use Fat Pings For Best Content Curation
Matt Cuts says to make sure you are using "fat pings," bigger and better ways to notify the world that your content is available.
- Shifting gournd on news curation
Forbes talking about flexibility in large news organization as they concentrate on social and curation.
- Duplicate content notices in Google Webmasters
If you're aggregating or curating and using snippets of content from other sites, you need to know about this.
- Pew Study On Tablet Use Finds Owners Don’t Want To Pay For News
"Consuming news is one of the most popular activities, up there with email and more popular than social networking. Only general Web-browsing proved more popular on tablets than news and email. Even so, just 14 percent of those who consume news on tablets said they have paid for news content on their devices."
- Onwards and upwards for Huff Po?
Always controversial... talks about the Newspaper Guild boycott, the TechCrunch fiasco, and content stealing accusations.
- Effective Social Network Sharing
Honest and straightforward tips on what and how to share. If only everyone followed this!
- Improving SEO with Content Curation
Speaking specifically about Google's Panda update
Search this site:
Get these links by email!
So, Google Reader is going away, one of the key content curation tools out there. What to do? ReplaceReader.com thinks they can help you find a solution.
- WordPress Plugins > PROPER Contact Form
- WordPress Plugins > PROPER Widgets
- A WordPress Theme for Writers
A new theme coming soon for those who make their living with words.
- Using Evernote For Content Curation
Get started using Evernote for content curation. Always good to try out new tools!
Google News on Curation
- 14 Classic Content Curation Tools for Your Marketing Strategy - SocialPilot
- Content Curation Tips That Will Help You Organize Your Content Calendar - Scoop.it
- Using AI In Your Content Curation Efforts - Nasdaq
- Content Curation Examples and Tips for Marketers - LinkedIn
- Content Curation: The Unbreakable Guide for 2023 - DivByZero
- 15 Great Content Curation Examples You Can Learn From - 2023 - DivByZero
- Content Curation: What Does It Mean? - Demand Gen Report